3.31.2007

The Carpet Angel Phenomena

When my husband and I were dating and he was a new Real Estate Agent practicing apartment locating, we loved “previewing” apartments around town. This involved picking the fanciest, most expensive apartments that had just been built and going on tours so we could get to know the products we intended to promote.

We lived in far North Austin in a gorgeous apartment we had no intention of moving out of, but for “business sake,” we drove all the way to Southwest Austin to see a new property. When we walked into the elaborate lobby, I anticipated the glittery blonde in a suit to offer us champagne. Well, we didn’t get champagne, but we were taken via stretch golf cart (oooh la la) to an apartment that would suit our “clients.”

We strolled up the steep stairs which immediately turned me off, but when we entered the 900 square foot apartment, we were in love! Centered around the kitchen, the bedrooms flowed together and angels sung as we immediately pictured how our new sofa would look in the living room with the view and what walls we would paint and oh, where would our 6” mirror go? Obviously, we broke character and my boyfriend (now husband, keep up!) literally threw himself down on the floor with a face-stretching grin in the master bedroom and did a carpet angel where the bed would be placed. The bubbly blonde figured out that we too would consider living there and wouldn’t it be great to show clients a stylish, furnished apartment?

I call this the “Carpet Angel Phenomenon.” I am a researcher through and through and when apartment hunting would drive even the most patient person crazy by my desire to see EVERY apartment on the market. But, had I not assumed I could find a suitable home on my own (and seen that apartment first with a skilled professional), the “Carpet Angel Phenomenon” would most certainly have taken place, removing any need for future shopping. So, if you’ve asked your REALTOR to show you “just one more,” you either haven’t found your Carpet Angel moment, you are overly analyzing and self-doubting, or your REALTOR has not listened to what you want. I hope that soon, the “Carpet Angel Phenomenon” gets you!

My Two Cents,
Austin Realtor's Wife

And yes, that is a picture of our very own dog!

No comments: