5.12.2007

The Skyhook Theory

Larry wrote about the Skyhook Theory this week and for those of you who don't regularly read his articles, you really should add him to your feeder! The Skyhook Theory is simply the belief in something bigger (than you, your career, or your commission)... something bigger (the sky) that grounds you (the hook). Larry writes that he learned about it from a professor and asserts that it could have been a religious belief, but he maintains that the Skyhook transcends any religion.

Although I had previously been calling it believing in God (I'm not licensed so I can talk about religion if I want), the Skyhook Theory is precisely why I believe my husband has done well for himself. Many times over the years, someone needed a rebate or they needed that extra time spent discussing their loan at 10pm instead of us spending time watching CSI. All too often, clients are seen as "leads," "pieces of traffic," or "closings," and the industry tends to forget that underneath those jargon terms are people who are asking you to guide them through the biggest purchase they will make.

As a Catholic, I believe that it's not my money anyhow (thus I believe in something bigger than me or money... thus I believe in the Skyhook Theory) and since that's my "hook," it makes it easier to give up. "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love" -1Corinthians 13. That is MY hook that makes each person more human, easier to serve, easier to sacrifice for and be generous with. I love the "skyhook" term because as a Christian, I am called to be a fisher of men- how perfect!

I believe that our industry needs more faith in each of our personal Skyhooks. What is YOUR hook?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm Catholic, too, and attend St. Theresa's. The back of the church bulletin is full of ads for real estate agents and a few mortgage brokers. Do people place these ads to support the church or to generate new business? Both, I'm sure.

I think you're right about needing a skyhook and some sort of guiding principals in your work. That doesn't change the fact that the real estate industry needs to change and blindly clinging to the old ways out of misplaced positivity will not help anyone in the long run.

AUSTIN REALTOR'S WIFE said...

Valerie- the church bulletin is a great way to support the parish- we are approached every year to contribute, and in exchange people have a referral network of realtors, plumbers, counselors and the like that they can count on- it's how I found my insurance agent years ago!

Anyone in any profession has to have a Skyhook. In all professions, change is needed. I believe you refer to the "old ways" as the method of placing the commission before the client and yes, that does have to change. In this age where the Internet reduces humanity by labeling clients "leads", and select FEW Realtors give the industry a bad name by commission chasing (or doing other unethical tasks), we should all take pause and remember that there IS something bigger out there that grounds us. When I remember it's not my money, it's SO much easier to be generous with clients (oh, and on Sundays)!

Hope this clarifies, Valerie!

Anonymous said...

Valerie, what changes would you have the industry make? I would be most interested. Lar Larry Cragun RealEstateUndressed.com

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me.

AUSTIN REALTOR'S WIFE said...

Anonymous, could you direct your comment? I'm not sure if the topic is laughable to you or the question of reform... I'd love to hear your tactfully written take on this article. Oh and I would also like to be able to refer to you by name...